archiving old versions (was: Re: [ns] (Urgent!) ns-2.1b2 is needed!)

>On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, John Heidemann wrote:
>
>> In general, we archive all versions of our stuff (except when lost),
>> but we don't archive other people's stuff.
>
>Even when the other people's stuff morphs into your stuff?
>The your/other people's then becomes a bit tenuous, and providing a
>complete history of your stuff (as in this case with otcl) seems a
>reasonable thing to do.

At which time we take over maintence of it we begin archiving it.
While providing prior versions would be nice to do, it's hard
to justify taking resources away from enhancing the current version to
resurrecting old versions.  (This is part of the reason we try fairly
hard to not break interfaces at the Tcl-level, as well.)

(Yes, finding a single copy of something old might be fairly easy, but
then linking it to the web pages, and answering questions about it,
and...  unforunately the limit of a sum of trivial tasks is 1, not 0. :-)

   -John Heidemann