At USC ISI, we are committed to being the best we can be to solve big problems in the world by leveraging differences and ensuring an inclusive environment where people can operate collaboratively. Our mission is for everyone interacting with our organization to feel that they belong and have a genuine opportunity for success.
Knowing that diversity of thought and experiences leads to more significant innovation, we look to have various talents in our field. We recognize our talent can be more productive in an environment that allows them to be at their best and where they feel acknowledged, contributing, and included where they can add value.
ISI DEI Strategy
To build upon ISI’s successes and global reach, we actively recruit exceptional talent. We are dedicated to investing in tomorrow’s leaders, providing internships, jobs, and program opportunities for students, as well as unique opportunities for exceptional researchers in information sciences and related fields.
- Increasing awareness of the market to serve our stakeholders better.
- Diversify perspectives and experiences outside our comfort zone to increase productivity in our research output and produce better ideas.
- Build trust in a safe and inclusive environment that leads to increased job satisfaction and engagement.
- Make this DEI effort sustainable by developing the foundation and leadership to measure progress and be accountable for results.
- Understanding and resolving gaps (by talking about complex and uncomfortable DEI issues, understanding biases, identifying the “right thing to do,” and having a higher focus on people, valuing them and their stories with respect).
- Becoming stewards for DEI and making others accountable for their actions.
Our primary mission is to stimulate an interest in STEM by exposing youth ages (15-19) from marginalized communities to the various aspects of the STEM industry. We will assist in preparing our participants in developing the tools needed to succeed in pursuing an education in STEM.
Research Engineer Internship Program
We are happy to announce that ISI will be launching a new Research Engineer Internship Program this summer. The goal of the program is to develop a pipeline of talent from master's students and undergrads with an interest in becoming Research Engineers. The program will run from June 1, 2023, through August 30, 2023.
The internships will provide:
- Opportunity to participate as an active team member in an ongoing research project, working directly with faculty/research staff.
- Opportunity to contribute to a software or hardware system.
- Opportunity to engage directly with emerging technologies.
USC Unifying Values
At USC, our six unifying values support our university’s mission and guide our behaviors – the way we engage with ourselves and our community – to create our Trojan culture.
Viterbi Office of Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to the mission of the USC Viterbi School of Engineering, and we have made a number of significant efforts to enhance diversity in all sections of the engineering pipeline.
Women in Science and Engineering
The WiSE program is a groundbreaking effort to increase the representation and success of women in science and engineering at USC through a series of creative programs that enable women to thrive at every stage of their careers.
USC Race and Equity Center
USC's Race and Equity Center mission is to illuminate, disrupt, and dismantle racism in all its forms through rigorous interdisciplinary research, high-quality professional learning experiences, the production and wide dissemination of useful tools, trustworthy consultations and strategy advising, and substantive partnerships.
University Of Southern California Office for Equity, Equal Opportunity, and Title IX
The Office for Equity, Equal Opportunity, and Title IX (EEO-TIX) centralizes resources for civil rights education, reporting, and resolution procedures.
USC Center for Urban Education
Since its founding in 1999, the USC Rossier Center for Urban Education (CUE) has worked to bring equity-mindedness to institutions of higher education through socially conscious research, tools and learning institutes.